Core Value 1: Allows for safety, humanity and respect
From Criminal Defense Wiki
|English • español • français|
- 1. Every person deprived of their liberty is treated with humanity and respect for the inherent dignity of the human person.
- 2. Every person has the right to recognition everywhere as a person before the law.
- 3. No person is subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment; [iii] no person is subject to medical or scientific experimentation without consent.
- 4. Any statement that is established to have been made as a result of torture is not used as evidence in any proceedings, except against a person accused of torture as evidence that the statement was made.
- 5. Every accused person is segregated from convicted persons and subject to separate treatment appropriate to his or her status as an unconvicted person.
- 6. Every accused juvenile is separated from adults and brought as speedily as possible for adjudication.
See Core Values
- ICCPR, Art. 10; CRC, Art. 37, 40.
- UDHR, Art. 6; ICCPR, Art. 16; The Human Rights Committee, interpreting Article 16, noted that: "intentionally removing a person from the protection of the law for a prolonged period of time may constitute a refusal to recognize that person before the law if the victim was in the hands of the State authorities when last seen and, at the same time, if the efforts of his or her relatives to obtain access to potentially effective remedies, including judicial remedies (Covenant, art. 2, para. 3) have been systematically impeded. In such situations, disappeared persons are in practice deprived of their capacity to exercise entitlements under law, including all their other rights under the Covenant, and of access to any possible remedy as a direct consequence of the actions of the State, which must be interpreted as a refusal to recognize such victims as persons before the law."
- International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), Art. 7.
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), Art. 5; International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), Art. 7; International Convention Against Torture (CAT), Art. 2; International Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC), Art. 37; Convention on the Rights of Persons With Disabilities (CRPD), Art. 15.
- ICCPR, Art. 10.
- ICCPR, Art. 10; CRC, Art. 37